8.19.2010

Popcorn, it's what's for dinner!

Disclaimer (i.e. EXCUSES):  My husband and I both work 45+ hrs a week, Mon - Fri (I also work every Sat. morning) and commute 1 hour every day.  I like to say we're very "busy", some might dare to consider me lazy, but truthfully I just hate cooking. 

Tonight on the dinner menu - popcorn.  Yes, that's right.  Popcorn.  James popped his version on the stove with oil and fancy flavored salt.  I used the air popper (no dishes) and melted butter over the top.  It was a buffet of popcorn.

"Dinner's ready!!" I yelled.  The stomping of hungry kids running through the house became louder and louder as they approached.  "What are we having?" A famished growing pre-teened called out?  "POPCORN!  YAAAAYYY!"  I said with the biggest & proudest smile on my face that I could muster.  The thudding of feet stopped instantly, groans and then "but I'm hungry!"  "Well eat up!" I said cheerfully!  Because when you are cheerful, it's more annoying to your children when it's so obvious to everyone you are in the process of a total failure moment.

"Can we make our own dinner?" 

"Sure dude.  Go for it."

"They scavenger around the kitchen.  My oldest says to her friend who is standing there nibbling on tonights dinner straight from the bowl, "let's go to your house."

James and I laugh.  They leave.  We eat a bowl of popcorn.  Soon the kids are back.  Nothing to eat over there either.  They settle for a bag of alfredo noodles courtesy of Knoll Pasta Sides with a side of popcorn.  I offer to make them a PBJ, but they decline.

I swear up and down that my kids will probably grow up to think we were so poor we couldn't afford dinner.  But seriously, I just hate cooking.  I don't totally fail every night mind you.  James cooks a lot too.  And when the mood really strikes me I will spend an entire weekend marathon cooking in bulk, just to avoid the nightly hassle of wondering what in the hell to feed my family.  The last time I did it, we had dinner for 8 weeks prepared and in the freezer.  My kids were in heaven and I had no dinner stress for 2 months.  Talk about AWESOME!

What daily chore would you do anything to avoid?  And have you ever passed off popcorn as dinner?

2 comments:

  1. Popcorn! It's what's for dinner! Lol If they are hungry enough, they'll eat what you fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yeah we've had popcorn dinner. With sundaes as dessert. Convention is so conventional. I don't mind cooking, but I HATE dishes and clean-up. Usually, if I'm going to try the popcorn dinner menu, I throw a DVD in and pass it off as family night. They're never the wiser! Muahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete